Voter registration deadlines in New York State are as follows:
In Person: 25 days before Election Day.
By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day. Received 20 days before Election Day.
Online: 25 days before Election Day
There is no same-day Election Day registration in New York State.
To register to vote in New York State you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of New York State and the county, city, or village for at least 30 days before Election Day
- 16 and 17-year-olds may pre-register to vote, but cannot vote until they are 18-years-old.
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship)
- not currently be judged incompetent by a court
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere